September 1, 2021
Six years ago, I wrote the GREAT EATS article. The fifth article in this series appeared a year ago and was concerned with steakhouses. Here’s what I had to say then:
“Steakhouses? A recommendation? I can close out this article right now with my answer: stay away from steakhouses. Period! They are a group of restaurants not to be frequented…but…if not a steak, is there another option? I have come to really enjoy hamburgers. What could be better than a hamburger with fried onions on a crusty roll? Add some ketchup, French fries and a sour Jewish pickle and you’re in business”.
A check of the literature provides a host of restaurants that could rightly be described as “hamburger joints.” Here is an abbreviated list of 10 along with, in some cases, their locations.
- The Wild Goose, Port Washington
- Prohibition Kitchen, Port Jefferson
- Burger King, (chain)
- McDonalds, (chain)
- Memories, Williston Park
- Bareburger, (chain)
- Beginnings, Atlantic Beach
- J.R.’s Great American (under construction), Williston Park
- Majors, (chain)
- Swing the Teapot, Floral Park. Last but not least, a solid burger with the trimmings, including some really tasty fries. Ask for Mary to be your server. Great entertainment on the weekends; try to catch Hell or High Water.
You might also consider just simply putting some chopped chuck on the grill. The price is definitely right. I don’t know if burgers at some delis and supermarkets qualify for this article but one can occasionally get a delicious burger there…a bargain for which there is no 9-% sales tax and 20+% tip.
You want more? Just check the Yellow Pages. But as for me, I offer the following suggestions for burger joints.
- Any diner. I’ve yet to have a bad burger at a diner. Honestly, the price is always right and the French fries almost always hit the spot.
- Shake Shack. My favorite. My family’s favorite. The burgers are tasty and reasonably priced. The French fries are fair but the shakes are excellent.
- Wendy’s. Dave’s single; a meal in itself. A $5 bargain and the fries are excellent. They occasionally have a 2 for $5 deal…what a bargain! The shakes are fair.
- The Cornerstone Pub and Restaurant, Mineola. A lot to choose from here but the burgers stand out. A bit pricey but the ambience is excellent.
- Any of the steakhouses. Hamburgers are your best bet at these spots but the prices are way out of whack.
Visit the author at:
Basketball Coaching 101 (Facebook)
OCTOBER 1: On the Ultimate Quiz V
NOVEMBER 1: On Technical Writing
DECEMBER 1: On Hofstra’s 2020-21 Basketball Season
JANUARY 1: On Zzzabuu VI
Here are this month’s three defensive suggestions from the upcoming second edition of my “BASKETBALL COACHING 101” book.
- Try to prevent the opponent’s offensive team from taking three-point shots from the end-line and the head of the key (where a higher percentage of shots are made).
- A great defensive player is as valuable as a great offensive player.
- A weak defensive player is as ineffectual as a weak offensive player.